After having been approved for stroke prevention in patients with nonvalvular A fib in 2010, Dabigatran -AKA Pradaxa- is now approved for the treatment of VTE last week.
- Dabigatran is a direct thrombin inhibitor.
- No monitoring parameters are required.
- Start dabigatran for VTE after 5-10 days of parenteral anticoagulation.
- Check renal function prior to initiation and monitor throughout treatment.
- Watch out for bleeding and remember that there is no antidote for dabigatran….. yet.
Read more here.