Homepage Forums Social Determinants: Yellow Cohort Forum [Yellow Cohort] Module 5

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Leslie Kao.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Leslie Kao

Please submit your SOAPs for Module 5:

• #29431 Reply
      Nabil Al-Kourainy

With the 5 domains of the psychosocial model of care for change in mind this week I encountered a 58 year old male who had recently been incarcerated for the second time, this time for 2 years, for retail fraud. In order to assess his social report due to the lack there of leading to a high degree of recidivism amongst convicted felons, I made efforts to delve into his support system. I asked him who he was living with and whom he would turn to if he was in need of help. He responded that since his recently release from prison, that he was living with his cousin who was providing him with room and board while on parole. To assess his Community and Environmental Resources, I asked him how he pays for medical care and how he gets to his medical visits. He responded that he is on medicaid, and that his out of pocket costs are minimal, and that he relies on the bus for public transportation. In keeping that in mind when prescribing medications, I made sure to select a pharmacy that was within walking distance from where the pt was living. To assess Behavioral and Substance Use Disorders, I asked him regarding his substance use history. He stated he was a current smoker, but was interested in quitting. We set a quit date for 03-30-2018 and I provided him with nicotine replacement therapy in the form of patches. He said in the past he had used alcohol, marijuana, snorted heroin and had used hallucinogenics, but quit in 1997. I asked him what prompted him to stop using these substances and he cited the death of a family member as his impetus for change. I congratulated the pt on abstaining from these substances and encouraged him to reach out to his cousin, whom he identified as his closest support system if he feels the urge to return to old habits. Overall, I was encouraged that after release from prison the pt expressed interest in improving his overall health and wellness. He is seeking psychiatric help for his major depressive disorder through Detroit Central City, and is working a part time job. He said that it made him feel good that he was doing something “legit”. I encouraged the pt to continue to improve his life and offered him support in this endeavor.

• #60760 Reply
      wsumed

Poor Man’s Provence: Finding Myself in Cajun Louisiana by Rheta Grimsley Johnson · 9781588382184

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: [Yellow Cohort] Module 5
Your information: