Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott Smith

Homelessness is a serious barrier to good health, a barrier that we often encounter working in the inner city. In systems like the VA, homeless patients are often able to eventually access more permanent housing through the homeless office. However for the majority of our patients, homelessness is a problem that has no good solution. In order to have a job it often requires some sort of address, phone number and often a bank account, things the homeless do not always have. this creates a cycle where people can’t get a home because they don’t have the money, and they can’t make money because they are homeless. These patients may have difficulty accessing medical services because of lack of insurance or difficulty finding care. I’ve had no patients in clinic who are homeless but I often encounter it inpatient. Patients can only take medications faithfully if they can carry them on their person. It makes it very difficult to keep up a meaningful regimen. I would consider trying to keep a simplified regimen for homeless patients, as it would be easiest for them to keep with them.

Viewing 0 reply threads
Reply To: Homelessness SOAP
Your information: