Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bayan

THere are many resources out there in the community to help homeless patients. THere is medical help, soup kitchens, and housing help. One way to help would be to make a list of those resources and hand it to patients. Also having a social worker onboard with those resources would also help.

• #29231 Reply
      Wadah Ameen

Homelessness is sadly still present even in the most developed countries, and more in some areas than others. All of us must have seen at least couple of such so far. Most of the times it is associated with underlying medical/psychiatric co morbidities. From My observation, some of homeless patients were unaware of resources that can be provided to them around their area. Others, chose to be homeless, which personally I think those need the most help, for possible underlying psychiatric issues, drugs, ETOH abuse. Understanding reasons for being homeless is sometimes more important than just providing shelters.

• #29232 Reply
      Yahya Ibrahim

Homelessness mean losing that secure roof over my head, the walls that house me with safety, warmth, food and rest. Being a part of a program in the heart of Detroit mans that a lot can be done. First, making the habit of asking every pt about their day to day living conditions is the step to unveil our role to step in and help. Establishing a growing list of agencies classified by the services they provide and have these lists printed and handy is important. Over time, it could be also helpful to reach out to these agencies (like Detroit Rescue Ministries and Advantage health center) and establish a relationship that could facilitate the care of the person in need. Care and sincerity can do wonders.

• #29233 Reply
      Emmanuel Akintoye

The comfort of our home is what we often take for granted. Same can however not be said about many of our patients who at homeless. Appreciating the magnitude of the effect of this lack of comfort zone make us appreciate the health risk that these patients faced. In addition, it provide a second thought for us as physician-cum-human to understand why patient may be reluctant to being discharged if there is no place of comfort to return. I was impressed to learn about wide arrays of resources available for the homeless at discussion section, and look forward to making use of these resources for my patients

• #29234 Reply
      Jasleen Kaur

Humanity often exists as a bell curve which cuts off and marginalizes its own tail. We judge individuals at the end of a spectrum rather than recognizing them as products of deeply rooted systemic failures within a society.

Homelessness to me means no security, no safety for my loved ones, apart from the basic necessities of a simple daily life.
      Sadly, the very next day of my social determinant meeting, I interviewed my clinic patient who had to walk miles throughout the day. On further asking, he became teary eyed and mentioned that he walks to the “soup kitchen” to get free meals. I felt numb imaging the lowest temperatures that he had to cover in snow to get to the only warm meal of the day, while I was warm and safe at my home.

To help them, I believe that residents, social workers and attendings can divide into volunteer groups and go into the community agencies to distribute meals, clothes and hand out vital supplies. I have personally done it many times with Sikh society to help the needy. Its indeed is very satisfying.

Soup Kitchen for free meals: https://www.bhpi.org/?id=121&sid=1
      Free and reduced cost clothes and household items http://www.suntopia.org/detroit/mi/clothing.php

• #29235 Reply
      Muhanad Taha

Homeless is Someone who does not have a primary residence. He or she may be staying in a shelter, living on the streets, “doubled up” with friends or family, sleeping in a vehicle, or living in any other unstable or non-permanent situation. In addition for us as a physicians to be aware of the mental and physical risks those people have, we should also help them with their social problem. There are already some strategies exist to create permanent solutions to homelessness in our community. We should be aware of these resources to help our patients. This should be part of every clinical visit.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Reflection
Your information: