Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ahmed Yassin

Health care systems have evolved over decades. Multiple factors need to be optimized in order to reach ultimate health care outcomes. Social determinants of health are important pillars of this modern health care system. It’s a lesson, we learn daily. For, example, I had a diabetic patient recently at the clinic with HB A1c of 12. I tried to discover the reasons behind this lack of diabetes control. Finally, it turned to be that his insurance doesn’t cover his insulin. The patient was very excited and willing to take his medications if he get them. Finally, We gave that patient free samples from our clinic till we get his medications approved. This is a very simple example of almost weekly examples of how social factors can affect many patients health care. The lesson is, social determinants of health are more important than many other factors and we have to learn how to explore these factors and detect their impact, in order to improve our patients’ health care.

• #29148 Reply
      Dr. Nnodim

Hi Ahmed, great reflection. You hit the nail on the head! Social determinants are indeed a largely significant actor in people’s health outcomes. I’m curious about what your feelings are when you encounter a situation such as you described – the patient is willing to adhere to the medication plan but due to cost and insurance not covering their meds, they experience poor health outcomes! How do you feel about that? Is this acceptable? What do you think needs to change to remedy this situation? What role can we, Residents/physicians, play in the remedy?

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: SDH
Your information: